Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Is it just me...

or does this piece of art pottery STRONGLY resemble Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors?

I mean, that's why I bought it in the first place, mainly to see if it would turn to me and say, "Feed me, Valerie!" and I would then be tasked to find human sacrifices for my unholy pottery master. I also figured "what the hey" based on the mark on the bottom of the vase, U.S.A. 106. Now I have been told (by someone who is by no means an authority) that some McCoy pottery is marked with just USA and no mention of the McCoy name. I could almost buy that in this case as the item is that minty green they seemed to favor so much and they seemed to be fans of that strangely organic fluted vase type thing. However 48 pages of images from my Google search later I have not found any proof that McCoy ever marked anything with just a U.S.A. (nor did they seem to leave the bottoms unglazed as this piece is) nor can I find a comparable shape. If anyone has ever seen a piece similar to this I would love it if you could tell me more about it. My free time is so limited that I am unable to go to the public library and look at their books on pottery. (if only the public library was open at 11pm!) But I am sure that somewhere in the annals of history someone recorded a vase as odd as this one. Even if someone is familiar with the mark or can confirm/deny with assurance the whole McCoy marked with only a USA that would be great. It would put me one step closer to identifying this beauty. I am normally not too concerned with the collectibility of my purchases, but if Antiques Roadshow has taught me anything it's that art pottery can surprise you and I would love it if like my Van Briggle I have again purchased s very collectible piece on the cheapy-cheap! Two in one year would be great!

I apologize that the mark is not more prominent in this picture. My "photography studio" consists of me taking pieces outside into the direct sunlight because my camera is pitiful. Unfortunately in this instance it all but washed out the contrast in the markings.

And I mentioned Google, when I search "McCoy art pottery" in quotation marks, why then do you give me Hull, Rosewood and Van Briggle? I thought the quotes were supposed to eliminate similar, but not EXACT matches! Harrumph, I'll let it go because you have been super useful in the past, but you're on warning buddy!

UPDATE: Thanks to the ladies at Gathering Spriggs /Gathering Vintage who at this weekends vintage & artisan market had a similar piece that sparked a conversation with these learned ladies. It is most likely Shawnee pottery as they marked their pieces the same way and are partial to these stylized organic shapes and do not generally glaze the bottoms of their pieces. Thanks ladies, mystery now mostly solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment